Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Some of Thomas Jefferson's Greek and Latin books discovered

74 of Thomas Jefferson’s books identified at Washington University library Newsroom Washington University in St. Louis
Some books in the archives at WUStL have been identified as originally coming from Thomas Jefferson's library at Monticello. Many of them are Greek and Latin books, including a volume of Plutarch's biographies of great Greeks and Romans; most unusually, inside one of the books is a small scrap of paper with Jefferson's own Greek handwriting on it! Scroll down in the article to see the picture of this scrap. (No, I don't know why this strikes me as so cool, but I once went far out of my way to see an exhibit in Washington DC that included the actual desk on which TJ wrote the Declaration, so maybe I'm obsessed with the actual process of his writing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment