Sunday, April 3, 2011

Santa Pudenziana, Rome - Smarthistory

Santa Pudenziana, Rome - Smarthistory "Smarthistory.org" is actually "smARThistory"--I haven't used it before, but it looks like it might be an interesting thing to browse. This is the article on Sta Pudenziana, a special church in Rome for me, because of 1) the 4th-cent. mosaic of Christ in a purple-and-gold toga, and 2) the Filipino faith-healing service I stumbled onto there in 2007, when all I really wanted was a photo of the mosaic. I seriously considered having Father Suarez lay hands on my aching foot, but I was afraid I would then feel compelled to buy his CD. (The Rest of the Story: I then proceeded to Sta Maria degli Angeli, where I found a Spanish-language [Filipino?] Mass going on, complete with guitars and bongo drums. Bizarre contrast with a church interior occupying the ruins of a Roman bath, redesigned by Michelangelo. But I was really proud of myself for being able to instantly tell Spanish from Italian!) The lesson from both sites: never go church-sightseeing on a Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment